Changing It Up A Bit

I think it’s time to refocus.

Almost two years ago, I had this idea.  The idea for a gimmick called Middle Class Batman.  Middle Class Batman was basically the Batman we all know and love – but middle class.  The story was he gave up his fortune and crime fighting for a chick and settled down with her in San Antonio, Texas.  I wanted to make YouTube videos and skits of his shenanigans and basically be a family man.

Well, I never could get the YouTube thing down.  You need like other people to record you, good equipment, charisma, and some sort of outward appearance you know what  you’re doing. So I just left in in the pile of “Things I Never Got Around to Doing”.  

About eight years ago, after my second daughter was born, I began to blog about being a dad.  At that point in my life it was just the four kids.  Life was crazy back then.  I was working about 60 hours a week, I tried going back to school and my wife was trying to handle three babies and a teenager.  It was perfect gimmick to be a dad blogger.  I called the blog Juggling Eric because I struggled being the husband, father, student, son, brother, friend, Christian, whatever with all the craziness going on at home.  I got sorta semi-popular.  Like the popular where you’re at your ten year reunion and you heard that someone died and you go, “Oh. I knew that guy!” Yeah – I was “that guy”.   I dubbed myself “The D-List Dad Blogger”.

After a while I went from Juggling Eric to “Welcome to Boltonshire”.  It was more descriptive of what was happening at home.  The blog had moved from being more about me to about the kids and such.

Eventually, the kids got boring.

Seriously, they stopped doing thing that were post worthy.  So I changed the blog again to “Hashtag Bolton” and made it more about me and whatever the heck I wanted to talk about. 

That didn’t last long. 

It wasn’t because I didn’t have the audience (because I never did really), it was more I was just tired of blogging.  I was putting more effort into it than I was being rewarded.  And that was it until almost two years ago.

I found a home for Middle Class Batman on Periscope and he was a sleeper hit.  I made some good friends and people really appreciated the gimmick.  Then I took a break from it.  Apparently that is my modus operandi.  While I didn’t broadcast all the time, I still interacted with people almost daily.  They got to know me and my family and it’s been fun.

But I think it’s time to make some changes.

I went back to school at the end of 2015 and I’ve actually stayed.  I’m majoring in Creative Writing.  Twenty years ago when I left school, I vowed never to go back.  Well I’m back.  I realized I spent evenings doing Periscope and looking for something to do, I could be using that for a tangible goal.

A college degree.

I want my kids to know that even though life is crazy as anything when you have six kids, you can still accomplish something.  My wife is doing it remarkably and I’m trying my best.

I want to write.  I want to write more.  Write like I used to when I started Juggling Eric.  I have a goal to publish my own book by my 42nd birthday this year –that’s nine months away. So I’m going to step back from being a full time Middle Class Batman and be a full time Eric D. Bolton who can be a Middle Class Batman.  I need to get back to the basics.  The goal is to make this blog a parenting/geek blog.  I plan to post a few times a week to get back in the feel of things and appreciate what I contribute.

So… yeah… Let’s see if I can keep it up.


As you were.