What Happened, Happened


1:08 PM


Guy was excited.  Late but excited as he was on his way to meet his girlfriend at their favorite downtown restaurant.  Hurriedly he maneuvered through oncoming pedestrians. Some would give him dirty looks and make comments under their breaths as he passed.  He didn't care, he had something he wanted to tell Emily and nothing was going to prevent this high.

He was at the corner of 8th and Austen, two blocks away from the restaurant, waiting for the crosswalk to grant permission to cross.  Even though he was lost in his thoughts, he could still hear the sounds of the outside world.  Street vendors, the chatter of the masses, squeaking breaks filled the air between the buildings.  He even thought he heard someone yell his name.  He stood on his tip toes to try and look over the crowd, just to see if he could see someone he knew.

Nothing. 

Oh well.

The signal changed and the mass he was part of moved. A few seconds later there were squealing of brakes and the sound of glass shattering.  He looked back.  A large crowd had gathered around the accident but he keeps walking away.  Not that he didn't care, but he wasn't a doctor or paramedic.  That's how he could justify his current non-involvement actions.  He'll have to remember it for later.  Hopefully he can help out somehow.

Down the block, Guy could see Emily waiting by the front of the restaurant.  He rushed to her and apologized.

"I'm sorry, Sweetie.  My watch stopped working."

"It's okay, I haven't been here that long.  You can make it up to me with a glass of wine."

"Of course." he said with a smile.

He grinned as he held the door for her and entered the foyer.  Guy put a request for two guests to the hostess and she took them to a prepared table. 

"Your waiter will be here momentarily to get your drink orders."

They acknowledged and sat across from each other.  There was a short silence before Emily spoke first.

"So, what's this big announcement you want to tell me?"

"You'll never believe me, but something happened to me yesterday."

"What is it?"

"It's difficult to explain, but it's still new to me and I don't know exactly how it happened.  But...."

"Here's your water.." The waiter interrupted.

"Thanks." Guy said, still looking at Emily.

"May I take your order?"

"We're not ready yet, thank you."

"Oh okay, just let me know."

The waiter places Emily's water down, but cold water and ice spills into her lap.

"OH MY GOODNESS!!!!"

"Dude, watch what you're doing!!!"

"I'm sorry."  He said holding his head down.

Emily doesn't say anything, but gets up and rushes to the bathroom.

"Emily?!?!"

"She'll be fine", the waiter says as he sits down at the table.

"What are you doing?!"  Guy looks at the waiter really for the first time and is surprised at what he sees. 

"Hey Guy, it's me... errr.. you... Guy."

He was right, Guy was looking across the table at himself.  An exact copy of himself down to what he was wearing today.

"Don't freak out.  It's okay.  Everything is fine."

"What's going on here?"

"As you can tell, I am you.  Actually I am you about two hours from now."

"What?"

"I'm you two hours from now.  You are me two hours ago.  Well you're me now, and I'm you now and we're here together."

"I'm confused."

"Dude, did we, or did we not find out we have the ability to time travel yesterday?"

"Yeah."

"And that's what you, we, were going to tell Emily today this afternoon correct?"

"How did you know that?"

"Dude, we are the same person, we have the same mind.  Even though we're a novice time traveler, we should understand the basic principles of it."

"....................."

"I can't believe I was this clueless two hours ago."

"So why are you here now?"

"Because we can't tell Emily about the time travel thing.  Not yet.  She's not ready.  I'm here to stop you."

"Like Terminator stop me?"

"No dude.  I'm just here to tell you to just don't tell her about it.  She's going to freak out and leave you... Me... Us..."

"Okay.  What should I tell her?"

"Tell her you fell in love with her again or something.  I don't have enough time, she'll be back any second."

"How do you know?"

Guy from two hours from now sighs, "Because I was you two hours ago, and she comes her any second.  She's going to know something is up."

"What is going on here?!?!"  A shocked Emily bursts out when she sees two of her boyfriend having a conversation.  "There's two of you at the table, I don't know what's going."

"Sweetie.."  Guy starts.

"Don't do it"  Guy from two hours from now tries to interrupt.

"Emily... I'm a.."

"LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" 

"Who is that? Why does he look like you and what does he not want you to tell me?"

"You'll want to lock me up if I tell you, but..."

"Don't do it man!!!"

"YesterdayIdiscoveredtimetravelandIwasgoingtotellyoutodayandthisismefromtwohours
fromnowinanattempttostopmefromtellingyouaboutmydiscoverybecausether'sachanceyou
willleaveme."

"Crap.  I was hoping I could have stopped myself this time unlike when I was sitting there two hours ago  and the Guy from two hours from now for you  then tried to stop me.  I guess whatever happened happens."

"What?"

"The Guy from two hours from now two hours ago when I was here the first time tried to stop me just like I tried to stop you.  And this is the biggest case of Déjà Vu from another point of view because I'm saying word for word what he was saying two hours ago.  Well, two hours ago to me, not to you."

"That's it.  I'm out of here!!!"  Emily storms off.

"Emily wait!!!"

"Hold up.  It's no use.  She's gone.  She's flipped.  The best thing to do is go home.  And in a couple hours come back to now and do a better job of talking yourself out of telling Emily than I or the us from two hours from now two hours ago did for me."

"Why two hours?"

"Because that's how long it takes for all this to make sense."

"Ahh."

"Yeah, that's just what I said two hours ago."

"What are you going to do?"

"There's something that I need to do.  It's what the Guy from two hours from now two hours ago told me to do if I was not able to talk the Guy from two hours ago (which is you) out of telling Emily our finding.  Go back and try to tell us before we get here."

"What do I do?"

"You need to return to this time and try to talk the you two hours from now, two hours before out of the same things I tried to do to you, got it?"

"No."

"Well you will.  Two hours from now."

"Who's going to pay the bill?"

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally.  Plus, we haven't ordered anything yet."

"What if the us two hours before now does not listen to you when you tell them what happens?"

"I'm just going to deck him and take his place and act like him for a while."

"Ahh.. Cool.  Well good luck and stuff."

"I can't believe I was such a dork two hours ago."

1:06 PM

Guy is standing at the corner of Austen and 8th, waiting for the Guy from two hours and 20 minutes ago to get there.

Where the stink am I??

Guy thinks for a moment.  Looks at his watch.  Not that it makes any difference, he's looking at his watch at what it would be  in his time if he never time travelled in the first place.

Crap!!! If it didn't stop on me earlier in the day!!!!  That's why I'm late and not here yet.  If this doesn't work, I'm
just going to go back and replace the watch battery.

Guy sees a crowd of people waiting for the signal to change.  He looks deep in the crowd and he sees himself from two hours and twenty minutes ago on the way to meet Emily.  Oblivious to everything with a retarded smile on his face.

Man, time travel can make you cynical.

"GUY!!!!""

Nothing.

"GUY!!!"

Nothing.

Crap.

Guy rushes across the street to stop himself when the squealing of brakes is heard followed by Guy's body smashing the glass of a taxi.  He rolls off the hood and slides on the pavement.  A crowd of people gather around him as he tries to focus on Guy walking away from the accident.

I was such a self absorbed jerk.


Guy's vision goes to black.

Comments