Why I Hate The New Superman Movie




[SPOILER ALERT] This blog post contains spoilers to TV Shows and or Movies that have been out a while.  If you don’t want to be spoiled go watch every movie and every TV show ever made then come back here and read.  Don’t say I didn't warn you.

I’m going to let you know a secret…

Watching the following are examples that can make me cry:
-          The part in the movie Courageous when the main character is “dancing” with his daughter.
-          In LOST when Sun is trapped in the submarine and it is sinking, and her husband     Jin refuses to leave her to save himself.
-          Also in LOST when Jack dies.
-          The last scene in Prison Break when everyone visits Michael.
-          The end scene in Spider-Man when Mary Jane wants to be with Peter, but he can’t because he’s really Spider-Man even though he really wants too.
-          Extreme Makeover: Home Edition
-          Secret Millionaire
-          Undercover Boss
-          The Doctor [Tenth Incarnation] on his “farewell” tour.
-          Any YouTube video of military personnel coming home and surprising their kids.
-          Amy and Rory's last episode on Doctor Who.

Now because I cry during those things (and others because it’s not an all-inclusive list), I usually make some sort of comment saying,  “I hate [blank]”.  My wife knows what it means, and if I say it on Facebook now you do too.  Being a dude, you're not supposed to cry at these things.

With that being said, “I HATE THE NEW MAN OF STEEL TRAILER!!!!!”

See for yourself.  And I’m assuming you already know the Superman back story  baby born on another planet and his parents put him in a rocket headed towards Earth.  Earth’s yellow sun gives him super power, etc. etc.


The first line of the trailer, had me hating it already. 

When Jor-El (Superman’s Biological Father) played by Russell Crowe says, “Good bye my son, my hopes and dreams travel with you” .  ARE YOU STINKIN’ KIDDING ME?!?!?  Then when Jonathan Kent (Supes adopted Father) played by Kevin Costner follows it up with,  “I have to believe you were sent here for a reason.. And even if it takes the rest of your life, you owe it to yourself to find out what that reason is..”  

That’s it. I seriously already HATE this movie!!

“My hopes and dreams travel with you.”

What involved and loving parent doesn’t have hopes and dreams for this kid?  But to preface that with a “goodbye”, knowing they will never see their infant again?  Forget about it!  My wife and I have hopes and dreams for all five of our kids.  When the sixth one comes later this year, we’ll have the same for them.  The dreams aren’t necessarily to be rich and powerful, but to be strong and courageous.  To be able to make the right decisions and be able to stand up for those who aren’t able to. 

“I have to believe you were sent here for a reason.. And even if it takes the rest of your life, you owe it to yourself to find out what that reason is..”  

But these hopes and dreams are mine.  They may not exactly be theirs.  So I can start them in the right direction, give them a good foundation, and it is going to be up them to find out their true purpose.

The dreams of Superman’s fathers in this movie should be the dream for every father for their kids.

These things also make me cry:
-          Sitting in the audience of Michael’s play and seeing him walk onstage before he says a word.
-          Watching Loreli catch a line drive in softball, then the first person she looks at when she catches it being me.
-          Witnessing Seth at five years old, know where every play should be made in a baseball game.
-          Araceli somehow knowing how to strike a pose and model an outfit she created.
-          Emma doing something we had no idea she learned.

I don’t hate these things though.

But I still hate the Man of Steel trailer.

Welcome to Boltonshire.

Comments