Beat the Heat with Gatorade

I played Little League baseball as a kid.  I also played outside, all the stinkin' time.  Back then I didn't think the heat bothered me all that much.  That was until my freshman year of high school when I passed out during JROTC drill.  It was a combination of not being properly hydrated (I drank lots of tea and soda and not so much water) and locking my knees while at attention.  One time I fell and hit someone on the way down and the with second time, the last thing I remember was someone yelling, "Catch Bolton!!!"


Well, I don't really want my kids to be caught by other team mates during drills, inspections or any outside event.  Which is why we always made sure they have a bottle (sometimes three) of Gatorade available.


Falling down is their dad's legacy.  Seriously, everyone remembers me falling down from high school.  I don't want my kids' FaceBook's to be constant wall posts about how they fell in such and such activity from jerks who say they're your friends but will never let up about it.


Seriously.  It gets old.


So....


Gatorade is conducting a "Beat the Heat" campaign this summer.


This program will begin on Monday, August 16 and run through Friday, August 27. Gatorade’s “Beat the Heat” campaign educates athletes, parents and coaches about heat-related illness and the importance of proper hydration. The goal is to reduce the number of heat-related injuries and deaths and help raise funds for organizations dedicated to preventing heat-related illness. 




  • Dads play a key role in keeping their athletes safe, so Dads need to understand that young athletes may be at greater risk for heat-related illness and know the ways to prevent it. 
  • Water isn’t enough. While fundamental, water alone does not hydrate and refuel as effectively as Gatorade.
  • Gatorade supplies the proper amount of fluid, electrolytes and carbohydrates to rapidly put back what your young athlete loses in sweat and provides energy to keep them going.
  • In drinking water, the brain may turn off the perception of thirst before the body’s overall fluid needs are met and stops the athlete from fully rehydrating.  The electrolytes in Gatoradehelp maintain the stimulus to drink so athletes drink enough to replenish and refuel .
  • Equipment makes a difference - wear light net-type jerseys, T-shirts and shorts, change sweat-soaked clothing, avoid wearing excess clothing, remove helmets when not playing and remember to stay hydrated.
  • You can help- download a free Gatorade Heat Safety Kit found at www.nfl.com/trainingcamp. For every unique download Gatorade will donate $1 to “Beat the Heat” charities up to $20,000. 
  • For additional information, please see the Gatorade “Beat the Heat” fact sheet attached.
Go give it a look through this weekend and hopefully we all will  think about considering Gatorade the next time we go out in the heat.


“I wrote this review while participating in a blog campaign by Mom Central on behalf of Gatorade’s “Beat the Heat” campaign and received Gatorade samples to facilitate my candid review. Mom Central sent me a gift card to thank me for taking the time to participate.”

Comments