Helping Out

"Daddy, I want to help!" my daughter offers while I'm preparing lunch.

Ummmm...

My mind races to think of a way for her to "help".  Usually when Ladybug wants to help, I'm in the middle of something and I really don't need (or honestly want) any help.  Getting help from Ladybug means that Disco is going to see his sister helping and is going to offer his assistance too.  Then Celi doesn't want to be forgotten and wants to help out as well.

What could be a three minute job turns to something that lasts at least fifteen minutes.

I'm just so wrapped up in getting to the next thing to do, I sometimes don't see the positive advantages I can take with the kids during these times.  Sure it's just a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, but it means a lot to them when they have a hand in accomplishing something.  Their faces light up when they can tell their mom they made something.

Aside from spending time doing things together factor, there is also the facet of teaching the kids a skill or craft.  Ladybug has been quite adept to cracking eggs by herself and preparing her waffles for breakfast.  It just took us showing her how to do it the right way.

I was replacing brake pads on my van recently and she wanted to come out and help.  I said okay and had her near me while I would loosen the lug nuts, remove the tire and replace the pads.  She'd ask her constant barrage of "why" questions and I did my best to sound like I knew what I was talking about.  I told her that I'm glad she takes an interest in helping me with the car because it's something I want her (especially as a girl) to be able to do herself if the time comes.  Did she actually "help" out at all?  Well if you call taking all the tools I was not using and lining them up on the driveway and then calling them "her tools", I assume you could say she did help out.

As a dad, it gives me a sense of accomplishment when you see your kids doing something you taught them.  Whether it's in the kitchen, under the car, a sport, or a hobby.  It makes me proud to be a dad during those times.


What about you?  Do you let your kids "help" out with projects or chores?

Be sure to check out Fatherhood Friday over at Dad-Blogs today.


Have a great weekend my friends.

Comments