I hate the Bag Monster

I'm not a fan of naps.

Naps for my children, heck yes I'm all for them.  Hopefully between the hours of twelve and three PM.  But for myself, they are evil weapons of destruction.

I haven't always felt this way though.  I don't remember taking many as a kid.  Nor did I take them as a teenager like MaddSkillz can.  It wasn't that I didn't want to take naps in my teen years, it was just that if it was daylight outside on the weekends or the summer, I had to be watching my little siblings or cleaning the house or something.

It wasn't until I got to college where I discovered the "Call of the Bag".

Having to wake up before 6AM every morning for PT or Morning Formation (I was in the Corps of Cadets at Texas A&M), one was tired by 8AM and the "Bag Monster" would be calling us. The Bag Monster is like the Sirens in the Oddessy.  It's beautiful cry would call out to weak CT and lure them into the trap which was the bag.

So during the day we'd come back to the dorm and take a nap between classes.  It didn't matter if it was only 30 minutes between classes, we'd come and "hit the bag".  Subsequent semesters, we'd plan out our classes around good times we would come back and take naps. 

One year I had no Friday classes and could "bag" all day.

There was nothing like covering the window with foil and turning the A/C in the dorm room to 63 degrees and sleep in a pitch black cold room.


Even getting a job after school, I would continue this exercise and come home and sleep.  I didn't have many responsibilities at the time so I could afford that luxury.


But now that I have FIVE kids? 


The Bag Monster has been stabbed in the chest and no longer calls out my name. 


If I take a nap now a days, MY DAY IS RUINED!!


I fell asleep for about an hour on Saturday.  Nothing felt right afterward.  Everything was off.  I couldn't get into the groove that needed to be taken care of.  I don't remember if I fed the kids and they got their baths around 11:30PM.


It was horrible.


Sure most people would say that making sure the dishes were done or laundry started is nothing big, go ahead and take a nap. 

You have five kids, you deserve a nap.


But having five kids is the reason why I can't take a nap.  Too much needs to be done and the time spent not doing it pisses me off.


Even if it is well deserved like yesterday.


It's the same reason I can't watch TV during the day on weekends or days off. 


Too much needs to be done.


I've actually become OCD since having kids.


I'm not checking the stove every five minutes, but if my schedule is skewed a little I'm not very happy.


Maybe one day in the future, the Grandparents will want to take my children for a couple days so KC and I can get a hotel room.  We'd then put foil on the windows and turn the A/C to 63 degrees, pull the covers up to our chins and submit to the call of the Bag Monster and it will take me back into it's loving comforting arms.


Do you have time to answer the call of the bag monster?  Or do you get freaked out like I do when you realize you've wasted a perfectly good day?

I hope you had a great weekend and have a great day my friends.

Comments