Honest Crap??


The same day that Que told me I was full of Sunshine, Scott over at This Daddy put me up for the Honest Scrap Award. If the Sunshine Award were the Nick Kid's Choice of blogging recognitions, I would say that The Honest Scrap Award is the Screen Actor's Guild of blogging awards.


No one really cares.

Except my wife, mother and mother-in-law that is.

But like with the Sunshine Award, the Honest Scrap comes with great power and great responsibility.

Yes, just like Spider-Man.

The responsibility is to tell you people ten HONEST things about me that you don't care about and then use my power to choose ten people to do this as well who probably won't do it.

1. Speaking of Spider-Man, when I was a kid (circa 10 and 11). I seriously considered being a super hero when I grew up. Somehow I was going to be bitten by a radio-active spider and swing from buildings stopping bank robbers and thugs. But then I went outside and saw that I lived in a suburban subdivision that comprised mainly of one story houses. Not a lot of swinging room. That dream died.

2. About the same time (1985), I really wanted my dad's 1979 Ford Thunderbird to be a Transformer. I would imagine the classic frame transforming with it's long doors being "wings" and fighting the neighbor's evil Dodge Ram Conversion Van.

3. I also wanted to see if there was a way to dig under my house to build a secret base and garage to house what would be my 1985 Trans-Am "Bat Mobile"

4. I actually did have friends when I was a kid.

5. I used to drink and go out quite a bit prior to getting married and we were invited to quite a few things with our families. When I got married and starting having children, we stopped drinking and going out as often as we had. This has had an effect on our relationship with our family. We are not included in get togethers or plans any more. We've tried to include family when it comes to our family or events. They just stopped coming. It's a big let down when a brother or sister will not return a call. Maybe they're just afraid of my growing invading army.

6. It goes both ways too. I neglect to pick up the phone to see how they're doing. Just like myself, they have their own lives. One brother is always on the move with the military. One is working weird hours at a federal prison. I have one brother who is only 20 and he's off doing his own thing, a sister is in the middle of finishing school and getting married in six weeks. The one I should have the most in common with (the one who has a son) has his own life. It's just that part of me that doesn't like bothering people. I'll continue this in the next part.

7. I don't ask for help. It's not a prideful thing where I feel that I can do it by myself. It's a mental thing. I've always believed that your issues are more important than mine. Even if you're not doing anything, I wouldn't want to bother you to help me with something that isn't your problem. It was probably something that was engrained in me as a kid that things that were important to me we're important enough to others. It's something that I need to work on.

8. I really enjoy being a father. It's allowed me to grow as a person and become responsible. There are days I get so much inspiration from all five of my children that I can take on anything and everything that comes my way.

9. I love my wife with all my heart, body and soul. Without her, I wouldn't be half the person I am today. I appreciate EVERYTHING she does for me and our kids. This operation wouldn't last without her. She is the best thing that has ever happened to me.

10. Even though I love her the way I do. I still do not trust her with the location of the entrance to the secret base and garage under our house.

Now to nominate people who will more than likely ignore me (this is the feeling I talked about in #7).

This is the part where I feel that your time is too valuable to follow through with a request from me.

I know these things can be annoying.

So here are my nominees who have better things to do than worry about me.

Tales From The Dadside

Almighty Dad
Clark Kent's Lunchbox
SAHD in Lansing
SAHD in Portland
Irrational Dad
Weasel Momma
mailto:Ed@Home%20Dad
And Triplets Make Six
The Life of a Father of Five

Happy Scrapping Everyone!

Comments