Rhetorical Questions.

Being a father of a 13 year old boy, a 3 year old girl and a 1 year old boy, there are some questions that you ask that you only ask out of human response reflex. No answer given will help.

These are some that I have come across:

  • "Why are the fridge magnets in the that push walker thing?"
  • "Why is there a drawing of a flower taped to the bottom shelf in the fridge?"
  • "Why is my driver's license bent?"
  • "Why are there pennies in my shoes?"
  • "How come my belt wrapped around the neck of the stuffed animal?"
  • "What is the rolled up sleeping bag doing in baby's crib??"
  • "Why do Loreli's bears have their own shelf in the linen closet?"
  • "Is there a reason why all the brushes are behind the TV?"
Being a Dad you can appreciate these things. Even if you are not a parent, you know that no amount of answers or reasoning will convince me of any acceptable answer to the original "Why?"

The truth is, there is no "Why?" or "What is?" or "How come?" anymore. I waived my right to get a reasonable answer when I signed on to be a father.

Now you can probably guess that these are not coming from my 13 year old. The questions I ask him mainly deal with how come something wasn't done. My 1 year old hasn't gotten to this point yet. This is all coming from my 3 year old daughter.

I can only assume that my parents asked these same questions when I was her age. But the truth is that I can only look at the magnets in the push walker thing and smile. I have to sigh an amused sigh when I find 27 cents in my shoes when getting ready for work. She wasn't trying to punk me or to get back at me for something I did to her. It just made sense when she was doing it before I found it. It's just the way she is beautifully made.

I look forward to the many years that she will do this. As well as looking forward to my youngest son and soon to be newborn doing it as well.

Until next time.

Comments